What you put into your mouth first thing in the morning is one of the most crucial decisions you’ll make as far as nutrition and optimal lifestyle goes.
“By giving the brain the nutrients it needs for optimal neurotransmitter and hormone function, everyone will benefit from better cognition, improved focus and drive, and less distractibility.” – Charles poliquin
I’m a strong advocate for high quality protein and fats type of breakfast and have done so for over 5 years now. The benefits are evident. Better mood, mental clarity, focus, ability to train hard as well as great results in body composition. Further, 99% of my clients have had similar experiences when switching their cereal, bread and porridge types of brekkies to protein based ones. Not even mentioning that people start losing weight… fast.
“For optimal fat loss, eat 30 grams of protein within 30 minutes of waking” – Tim Ferris
My favourite breakfast up to date still is 250g Grass Fed Eye Fillet steak, handful of raw nuts and a black coffee. Works like a bullet.
However, I’m aware that it doesn’t suit everyone as people are different. Further, some people need an alternative to work up to the breakfast of champions, steak and nuts.
Hence, I started to experiment with high protein superfood balls for my clients as well as for myself as I know switching things up is extremely beneficial to avoid plateaus. They worked really well, which made me write about it and share the exact recipe for you guys.
This is what works for me.
- Wake up between 5 and 6am
- Immediately have 1l of water with good quality salt, MSM and lemon squeezed in
- Prepare my bulletproof coffee with a spin (I can share the recipe of this too later)
- Enjoy the coffee above with 2 x High protein Superfood balls (recipe below)
- Approximately 3hrs later I have my high protein high fat meal
I simply feel awesome throughout the morning. My mind is clear. I’m happy. I’m full of energy to work or train. I feel optimistic. I’m ready to push myself out of the comfort zone straight away in the morning. And the good fats in the bulletproof also give that extra kick and sustainable energy for your brain and for your body.
Would I recommend you to try this? Hell yeah!
Balls of steel – High Protein Super Food balls by Tomi Kokko
- Chia seeds
- Cacao powder
- Maca powder (I use brand called Superlemon for cacao and Maca)
- Cacao beans / cacao nibs
- Goiji berries
- Blueberries (frozen ones are fine)
- Cashew nuts or any raw nuts
- Himalayan pink salt
- Shredded coconut
- LSA / Psyllium husk (extra fibre, optional)
- High Quality Whey Protein Isolate powder, according to your daily protein goals (I personally use Ion92 by Evolution)
- Coconut oil and bit of butter
- 1 raw egg white only (works as a binder)
- I also put creatine and glutamine to it but you can mind those as they are specific for my needs
- Stevia for make it sweeter but I don’t use any
- For the morning specific ones I sometimes put double shot of organic espresso as the liquid / binder for extra kick
- Avoid honey, sugar, other fruits etc. as it will defeat the purpose
-> feel free to improvise outside the list as well. Once you make them minimum of three times you will get the hang of it and can start trying different variations.
1. Put nuts, goiji berries, bluerberries (any other than powders) to a food processor OR into a blender for 15-20 sec
2. Mix all the ingredients in a big mixing bowl
3. Add egg white and a tiny bit of water (if needed)
4. Start rolling the balls with your hands. if too dry, add bit of water or almond milk or another egg. If soggy add more protein powder.
5. Put it in the fridge for storage and some for freezer if you made a big batch
6. All done, enjoy
Any questions, let me know and I would love to hear your experiences and different recipes as well.
Most importantly… Keep loving your body, living with passion and escaping your comfort zones!!!
PS. Feel free to use my discount code TKTUKKU20 to get 20% off from Evolution and SuperLemon (www.evolution.fi). Best quality supplements I’ve found thus far in Finland so I’m glad to be working with these guys closely.